The area, bounded by Salavat Yulaev Avenue, Communisticheskaya street, Posadskaya street, the Friendship Monument Park and Oktyabrskaya Revolution street, Bashkortostan Republic, Ufa.
S. Oreshkin – Project Manager,
R. Andreeva – Project Chief Architect,
A. Weiner – Project Chief Engineer,
P. Kochnev, D. Uraksin, E. Belyat, A. Samorukov, A. Khramova, M. Shalina- Architects.
In may 1574, on the Holy Trinity day, fulfilling the Ivan the Terrible dictation, Moscow riflemen commanded by voivode Ivan Nagoy landed on the Belaya river right bank (in Bashkir – Ak-Ideli).
The place of the city and the fortress foundation was selected by the voivode on the ground of strategy. (Ufa fortress was never captured by the besiegers).
Right on the mountain Turatau (“fortress mountain”) was built a church, called Troitskaya (after Holy Trinity), a bit farther the first huts and household building ware built. The place for the fortress construction was chosen precise.
The river Sutoloka flowed from the North to the South protecting the settlement from the East, a steep climb rose on the opposite side, and the river Belaya presented an inaccessible barrier for nomads. The settlement center was the fortified fortress made of oak, which the locals called “Iman-Kala”, what means “Oak town”.
Originally the fortress was named after the mountain, but after some time the name Ufa was established (according to one of the versions, the word came from the ancient Turkic “uba” — “hill, highland”).